Ah…New Jersey…the birthplace of Bruce Springsteen, baseball, and Jay and Silent Bob. Most recently though, in case you haven’t noticed, the Garden State has taken over cable. There are so many TV shows featuring Jersey that it’s hard to keep track. That’s why I’ve put together this little round-up:
- Jersey Couture – Premieres June 1 @ 10 PM on Oxygen, this new docu-series follows a New Jersey family who runs a popular women’s formal wear store
- Jersey Shore – MTV’s ridiculously popular series returns for a second season July 29
- Jerseylicious – A new series on the Style network about a Jersey hair salon, airs Sundays @ 10 PM
- Cake Boss – TLC series about a bakery in Hoboken, where they make the most insane cakes, airs Mondays @ 9 PM
- 9 By Design – Follow Sixx Design on their latest project, to design the interior of The Bungalow Hotel, a new boutique hotel on the Jersey Shore, episode premieres May 25 @ 10 PM on Bravo
- Boardwalk Empire – The highly-anticipated new HBO series, set in Atlantic City during Prohibition, premieres this fall
Thanks to reality TV and dysfunctional families desperate for fame, quasi-celebs are everywhere and most of them are ridiculous and do idiotic things. Here is a list of the most annoying ones (in random order) from this year. PLEASE feel free to comment with additional honorable mentions.
- Jon Gosselin–lover of Ed Hardy t-shirts, this very recently divorced dad from TLC’s hit series, Jon & Kate Plus 8 acts like he doesn’t want press attention, yet I can’t turn around without seeing his face somewhere…Kate’s over him, TLC’s over him, now we just need the tabloids to be over him.
- The Kardashians–ugh, this family is beyond annoying. They only have a reality show on E! because their dad was a lawyer and someone is married to Bruce Jenner, and they like to shop and date football players. Hey, E!, thank you for Joel McHale and Chelsea Handler, but all your other “shows” can go, thanks.
- Michael Lohan–also known as Lindsay Lohan’s dad. This guy has proven to be a real a-hole time and time again, but this year, he topped even himself when he released very private taped conversations he had with his daughter and his ex-wife.
- The Balloon Family–remember a few months back when there was breaking news that a little boy was believed to have been in a helium balloon somewhere over Colorado? And it turned out to be a hoax, all because of a scumbag father wanting to create drama and get a TV show out of it. Thanks reality TV, this is your legacy.
- OctoMom–see the above, but swap out kid in helium balloon over Colorado hoax/scumbag father with deranged California woman who gave birth to eight babies.
- Everyone on MTV’s The Jersey Shore–I’ll admit, I checked out this show just to see what all the buzz was about, and by the second episode I began to get dizzy and light-headed by all the hair and tanning-product fumes seeping from my TV set. Or maybe it was because my brain was slowly turning to mush. I’m not sure.
- Spencer & Heidi Pratt–lucky for us, these two idiots have been laying low recently…maybe we should be worried, are they plotting some huge publicity event/photo op?